[luau] No hard drive, only compact flash card

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Jul 6 23:27:00 PDT 2003

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> Thanks, you're right.  It should be milliseconds, not miniseconds.  :-)

np :)

> The technology on flash memory is evolving so rapidly, no one really
> knows what we could expect.  For example, go to the USPTO web site and
> do a quick and dirty search on "flash memory" and "Liauh", and you will
> find at least 11 patents.  There are always those little bitty things
> that are constantly invented to improve the read, and more particularly,
> write, speed. Remember 7 or 8 years ago when we thought the EDO DRAM has
> reached the possible speed limit of dynamic memory cells?  Current flash
> memory is almost at the same stage of the EDO DRAM.

And 15-20 years ago people would ahve insisted that 2400bps was the maximum
theoretical speed possible over POTS :)  I guess you'er right.  People are
insisting that flash is pretty mcuh completely evolved and any improvements will
be incremental at best, but it only takes one major breakthrough!

--MonMotha

P.S.  Just a friendly reminder to please trim your quoted original mail in