[luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #772 - 10 msgs

Jon Reynolds jonr at destar.net
Fri Jul 4 17:02:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 14:13, maddog wrote:
> If you guys are going to do any seminars related to integrating open source
> software into a windoze 2000 network I would be very interested.
>
> Here's a list of what i would like to see
>
> 1) Exchange mail server replacement
>
> 2) SAMBA and Win 2k particularly Active Directory
>
> 3) Open Source network monitoring tools i.e. SNORT, Firewalls and the like.
>
> 4) LAMP (although I am running it currently) any new info is always
> appreciated.
>
> I think you might have a fairly big audience for these technologies.
>
> Maddog
>

> From: "R. Scott Belford" <sctinc at flex.com>
> To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
> Subject: Re: [luau] GIS demo
>
> Luis aka Rigpa wrote:
> >
> > I have been thinking of doing a short GRASS GIS intro.  Would anyone
> > from the list be interested in attending?
> >
> > I'm currently working on getting some Oahu datasets to offer with the
> > intro.  ;)
> >
> > What is GRASS?  -->  http://grass.baylor.edu//index.html
>
> This would be interesting.  We need seminars like this, and Michael at
> McKinley needs us to hold informative sessions like this at the HOSEF
> lab at McKinley.  Please proceed and let us know when you want to do it.
>   The sooner the better.
>
> --scott
>
> If *any* of you would like to do a session on anything Open Source you
> think would be of interest to the community, please let it be known.  We
> have the space, and we sure would like to use it to proliferate knowledge.

As for #1 you could check out www.kroupware.com as a replacement. I have
the server up and running and have been playing with it for about a week
now. You would have to buy a connector license for lookOut and I don't
think it supports lookOut Express. It does work with kmail.

As for #2. Isn't AD just LDAP with a different name? This is the
conclusion I have come to, is it correct?

Jon