[luau] SpamAssassin and Exchange Webmail

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jul 1 16:57:00 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vince Hoang" <luau at ml.altern8.net>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] SpamAssassin and Exchange Webmail

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:45:59PM -1000, Matthew John Darnell wrote:
> > We are on 2.55 and even if it is marked SPAM it doesn't add any
attachments,
> > just adds *******SPAM****** to the beginning of the subject.
>
> I believe recent versions of SA have report_safe enabled by
> default. One of the advantages is this approach prevents web
> bugs from loading in HTML-enabled mail. If the image loads, the
> spammer _knows_ you read the message.
>
> -Vince

spamassassin-2.55 and the soon to be released 2.60 have this new spam
handling behavior which can be enabled.  Rather than modifying the body of
the spam, it moves the original intact spam message into the attachment of a
new message, and within the body of the new message are detailed reasons why
the message was marked as spam, and some text from the message so they
usually don't need to open the attachment.

The user can optionally open the attachment to read the original message,
which works for HTML mail too since the message is completely intact.

http://togami.com/~warren/archive/2003/example-spamassassin.mbox
Here is one intact-spam-into-attachment message in mbox format directly from
my SPAM folder.  It works properly when viewing the original attached
message when viewed from Outlook Express and Outlook in Windows.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com