[luau] If someone ask you about Linux...

Taylor Cody L. Contractor 502 AOS/PETS Cody.Taylor at hickam.af.mil
Tue Jul 1 10:25:01 PDT 2003

Wow that was enough acronyms to give me a headache.  Sorry but I don't have
the time to follow up on everything your saying.  We are seeing a classic
example of conflicting regulations.  The government does this all the time.
Just the other day I was jacked up by the Security Police for bringing
equipment through a door that I was supposed to give 24 hour notice to use.
This rule doesn't apply to me because I am bound by another rule that states
I have to respond to problems within a few hours.  I have an official reg
and so do the cops so we bump heads every once in awhile.  Of course I still
use the doors and get my work done.  I go through similar things all the
time.

Earlier you posted a link to a document at
"http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/d85001_102402/d85001p.pdf"
that supports what your saying.  If you search that same site at
"http://vsearch.dtic.mil/search97/x.vts?Action=FormGen&Template=samp2.hts"
for linux, it will come back with plenty of hits.  You can even find links
that explain how to use linux on DoD networks.  One link was for DISA
instructions on installing a kernel under Red Hat linux.

Maybe we are saying the same thing, Im not sure.  I am definitely not trying
to argue.  I don't think there is anything to argue about.  I can tell you I
have worked on many networks at many different locations with many different
classifications and every one of them has and still is using open source
software.  Hickam uses open source.  It's not a hush hush thing either.  I
mean there are half a dozen companies on island trying to hire ppl with open
source backgrounds.  I just came from a network over seas that happens to
have a very high classification and it uses many open source products, and
it has for years.  I can not name one network I have worked on that isn't
using open source in some way.  I don't know what else to say.  Hey did that
rhyme?  I guess I can have a few people from different bases send you an
email saying they have been and are currently using open source software
with the blessings of their security office.

"shrug"
-Cody