[luau] NMB service stopping automatically

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jan 31 11:45:01 PST 2003

I have a Linux machine (Mandrake 8.0) running on a Windows network with Samba. The Linux machine shows up in network neighborhood on Windows machines, but every so often it disappears. To get it to re-appear, I have to restart Samba twice.

During the first restart, the "status" indicator says that NMB fails to shut down, everything else is ok, but the Linux machine still does not show up in Windows network neighborhood. However, if a windows machine has mapped the Linux machine, it is still accessible through the mapped drive. A second restart of samba is neccessary to get the Linux machine to show up in windows network neighborhood.

I am guessing that the NMB service is shutting down automatically for some reason...does this seem accurate? What can I do to fix this? The Linux machine is set-up to update a photolibrary via cron and as a local web server. Any help/suggestions is appreciated!

Rodney Kanno