[luau] CONFIG_RTNETLINK -- Linux kernel configuration option

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Thu Jan 23 11:22:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:38:08AM -1000, Dennis T. Ching wrote:
> Does anyone have a clue what CONFIG_RTNETLINK is about, or how
> to find out? I couldn't find any Help in make menuconfig or
> make xconfig, on Red Hat 7.3, nor in any of its documentation.

Via `make menuconfig` on a 2.4 kernel source tree:
  Networing options --->
  [*] Kernel/User netlink socket
  [*]   Routing messages

The help exists within the configuration tool, but is brief:

  "If you say Y here, userspace programs can receive some network
  related routing information over the netlink. 'rtmon', supplied
  with the iproute2 package (ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru), can read and
  interpret this data. Information sent to the kernel over this
  link is ignored."

You might want become acquainted with "The Linux Kernel HOWTO":
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

-Vince