[luau] RH8.0 laptop woes

bob at atl.org bob at atl.org
Tue Jan 21 14:17:12 PST 2003

Vince-

I'll second that.
Had to turn off ECN here.
Some also can't deal with some of the http 1.1 features.
Lastly, if he is wireless, long RTT with lots of hops (over 16)
is a problem with some of the wireless providers.
i.e. it's been as far as 26 hops and a 5 second RTT
from my laptop to honoluluadvertiser.com...

Rearranging mail stuff here and until
I get resubscribed from the new server (darn reverse lookup)
I can't post direct to the list.

I did have the same problem running 2.4.19 on my laptop
with mozilla. Some other networking tweaks helped as well.
IRTT, mtu, window scaling, etc.

If he is running CDMA2000 1xRTT on SPRINTs network?
Their proxy is totally weird!

If I run an nmap scan on a clients network over the
SPRINT CDMA network, SPRINT's proxy will continue
scanning for a good 20 minutes AFTER the scan
is complete and I've EJECTED THE CARD!

Their web proxy is a total mess as well. It spends more time
compressing the google jpg logo than it would take to
transfer it and totally mangles the colors!

Unfortunately, it's all transparent and the only way
to make the SPRINT stuff work nicely is to tunnel
through to ones own internet connection.

-bob
(who should hace sold his PCS stock a long time ago!)