[luau] Network Question in Redhat 5.2

demon_jr808 demon_jr808 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 07:42:01 PST 2003

Hi Everyone,

If anyone can give me any suggestions, that would be great.

I'm trying to setup my network on Redhat 5.2. My NIC is a PCI Ethernet D-Link DFE-530TX. It seems as if my NIC is not being recognized by Linux. People recommended I use the "tulip" module. During the installation of Linux, I was asked if I wanted setup my LAN. I said yes and proceeded to pick the "tulip" driver. However, Linux stated that it could not find or recognize the device. I tried subsequent dirvers but received the same message. At this point I figured, I would just install Linux and try to setup my LAN after the fact.

Once Linux was up and running, I tried to setup my LAN using a combination of "linuxconf" and "netconf". I was able to setup my IP address, Gateway, and select my ethernet device. However, since I had not installed my ethernet device earlier, I assumed it would not work, which it didn't. I attempted to install my NIC using "kerneld" and selecting a module for it, but I had no idea what the modules corresponded to, since the list I was given was composed of letters like "ne" or "ne2000". Anyways I kept trying different modules with the same result. I even tried assigning the same IRQ and I/O for my NIC that Windows XP assigned it.

Anyways, even if I get my NIC running and setup my basic IP information, is there anything else I need to do, like, edit any configuration files or anything like that?

Thanks!

---