[luau] RH8.0 laptop woes

Florian Hines frhines at swbell.net
Sun Jan 19 08:19:01 PST 2003

Hope you guys are ready for this one, its a mulipart question.
And thanks for all the help always by the way.

1st, i have some weird connection problems.

Certain website time out (mozilla.org, macromedia.com, gtk.themes.org,
swbell.net and a few others)
Evolution times out when i try to send email. (the smtp server just happens
to be mail.swbell.net)
If i try to traceroute to mozilla.org it can't get past my second router.
But i can log into that router with out a problem.
traceroute's to anywhere else work fine.

I switched cat5 cables, re-installed RH8.0 (More than once because of my
second problem) it doesn't help. I boot into XP and everything is fine.

2nd.

A few apps don't launch (redhat-config-date, the gnome traceroute app),
can't give you any error's right now since i gotta boot into windows to send
this email.
I tried re-installing those RPM's but it didn't work (neither did
re-installing the system totally).

redhat-config-date must have worked because during the initial setup (where
rh asks if you wanna use NTP etc etc) that worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas. Slackware isn't an option for this laptop :(

Should i just go back to RH 7.3 (instinct told me to install it in the first
place)

Florian