[luau] My Current Linux Needs

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Fri Jan 17 10:06:01 PST 2003

Aloha,

If you really want/need to run Linux on old hardware and it is mainly for
learning, I would suggest using one of the small Linux distributions, like
Monkey Linux.  I used to use Monkey and it was great.  It is very old,
hasn't been updated since 1997, but it works, it doesn't require much space
or memory, and it is Linux so you can learn Linux with it.  It comes with
everything you need including X.  You can even use it as a web or mail
server.  What is doesn't have is the latest and greatest software or
support for the latest and gratest hardware, but it is designed to run on a
386 with 4mb ram, so it should do just fine on your 486.

Monkey Linux
http://www.pslib.cz/monkey/docs/english.htm

Tiny Linux
http://tiny.seul.org/en/

Power Up To Bash Prompt
http://www.netspace.net.au/~gok/power2bash/

This is exactly what you need right here.

4mb Laptop HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/4mb-Laptops.html

Hope this helps,
Dusty