[luau] Greetings

tburns at despammed.com tburns at despammed.com
Thu Jan 16 14:51:00 PST 2003

>demon_jr808 wrote:
>> I am considering purchasing the following laptop and installing Linux

>> I want to use the laptop as a learning ground for Linux

>If you have an existing computer
>running Windows you may consider >"dual booting".

Dual booting is sometimes used by people transitioning from windows to linux, but ironically it is rather more complicated than just switching. At least, it was difficult for me.

There are some other routes for dippiing your toe in the water before you jump in. I am thinking of some distributions that either let you boot from a floppy, or CD, or there is even one that you can install in windows as if it were a windows app. My fave is Knoppix, it lets you boot from a CD. It's not nearly as slow as I'd feared it would be, and it has a nice variety of tools installed. It lets you access windows partitions as read only. I'm not sure it has web authoring stuff, though.

have fun!
Dizzy Dave