[luau] hyperthreading facts

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Jan 14 11:16:01 PST 2003

Robert Green wrote:
> I don't know much about Hyperthreading, but do the applications need
> to be specially optimized and/or recompiled for you to get
> performance increases, or will standard applications see these types
> of improvements just due to the CPU alone?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

Anything that would benefit from SMP can potentially benefit from
HyperThreading.  In other words, if your app is threaded (and the threads are
doing different things, using different functions of the CPU), it can benefit.

You can also benefit if you're running more than one process (you are).  The
kernel sees the HyperThreaded CPU as 2 CPUs and schedules between them
appropriately.  However, the 2.5 series that's HyperThreading aware knows the
limitations and benefits of hyperthreading (shared cache, etc).  Therefore, it
will schedule according to this (especially useful in situations where you have
more than one HyperThreading CPU).

--MonMotha

--
Optimist: The glass is half full.                      | PGP Key: 0x1B0390E0
Pessimist: The glass is half empty.                    | Outgoing mail signed