[luau] laptops

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jan 5 20:52:00 PST 2003

Alvin Murphy wrote:

> I have a Compaq presario 711 cl that is running Mandrake 9 very well,
> although I don't worry about games, 3d, speed, etc.. Warren wrote a
> very good review of the 711 series with Linux which you should be able
> to find in the archive; if not, send a note to Warren. Good luck

Alvin, regarding your laptop.  I have found that you can reduce
temperatures during idle by either running LVCool with your normal
kernels or using the most recent ACPI kernel patch from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi.  LVCool is probably easier to
setup because you just have to compile and run it, although you need to
edit its Makefile to use g++ rather than gcc or GCC 3.x will fail during
linking.

http://mpet.freeservers.com/LVCool.html
LCCool source code and explanation of how it works

http://phoebe.mplug.org/apt/SRPMS.fedora/lvcool-0.1-1.fedora.1.src.rpm
If you know how to compile Source RPM's you can rebuild this package
that I made.

Warren