[luau] ATA133 support

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Wed Feb 26 06:30:01 PST 2003

I have a Promise chipset PDC20269 now.  It has issues and
appeared to be working fine for a few months but only in UDMA 33 [Note 1]
as the current kernel supported by RH does not
fully support it.  I could stray from the RH kernel and get my own or get
another card.  Any suggestions on a decent add on card that is stable and
fully supported on at least 2.4.18-3?  Maybe my problem is not the card
but it is still something I would not mind swapping out anyway.  In the
last two days both drives running off this card randomly stop responding
which are my /home and /samba_storage so although they have no system
files the server hangs hard.  The / partition is on hda on the MB's
controller and still runs fine but all of my Windows machines using
roaming profiles and domain logins, they are 100% useless when this
happens.  Nothing gets reported in any logs and no console messages to
indicate any problems but any processes that attmpt to access the hung
drives start and lockup (like running ls -la, hdparm etc...).
Although the machine has an uptime of 80 days with no problems I
did run up2date within the last 48 hours and did not really pay attention on what was
updated.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an addon ATA-133 controller card?

[Note 1]

PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX3: chipset revision 0
PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
PDC20269: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 60
PDC20269: chipset revision 2
PDC20269: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x6500-0x6507, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x6508-0x650f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM1280A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: Maxtor 6Y080L0, ATA DISK drive
hdf: ST340810A, ATA DISK drive