[luau] DOE and politicians

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Tue Feb 25 16:22:01 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, al plant wrote:

> You are right on. Politics seems to be what drives the DOE. I listened
> to an interview on PBS the other night with the woman who now is the
> head of the DOE and got the distinct impression that she has to bow to
> politicians not educators.

You are right (on this point) also, Al. Because the legislature doles out
the DOE's allowance every year, the DOE has to bow to it's funding source
or suffer the wrath of the unhappy legislator. Do I hear a 20% budget cut?

> Perhaps this is why the private school sector is so strong here in the
> islands.

The private-public situation is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

1. More parents move their smart kids to private school.
2. Private schools ensure a smart supply with entrance requirements.
3. Private school test scores go up.
4. Public school test scores go down.
5. Newspapers publish test scores.
6. Goto #1