[luau] In Response to the TC new on the list.

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Tue Feb 25 15:34:00 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Jeff Zidek wrote:

> The issue is that we constantly here about a lack of funding for
> computers from the DOE but when we offer donated computers and support
> for very reasonable capital inputs their always seems to be someone to
> point out how it can't be done, or make statements like "We are a Mac
> School" or just require that coordination be filtered through so many
> layers that real implementation doesn't happen. Most DOE schools just
> don't seem to be open and flexible to the possibilities.

There is definitely a lack of funding at the school level. For example, my
budget this school year is $0.00. With this budget I need to supply
printer paper, printer ink, printer toner, new equipment, maintenance,
repair, etc. It's not easy to do that on my budget.

The thing about the DOE is that it's a very social animal. There's always
a way to get something done, but it has to be done in the DOE way.

The best way to get something done in the DOE is to find a partner within,
who understands what needs to get done and also how to do it the DOE way.

I know it sounds wierd, but the ends justify the means, I guess. I don't
like it, but it's a fact.

Try substituting "local community" or "local business community" for "DOE"
above and re-read.