[luau] How to uninstall GNOME from Redhat 8?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Feb 23 20:17:05 PST 2003

demon_jr808 wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Does anyone know how to uninstall GNOME from Redhat 8, so that I can use
> just the "plain" X-Windows manager?
>
> I tried using the RPM GUI, but it only allowed me to uninstall "extra" GNOME
> packages, not the "standard" ones, which I assume are needed to run GNOME.
>
> Thanks!

Red Hat's web of dependencies make it difficult to get rid of it
entirely.  You should probably keep at least the gtk+ and gtk2 libraries
because many non-Gnome applications use them.

http://psyche.mplug.org

Install apt-get from this address then do the following:
apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic
synaptic

Synaptic is a decent RPM GUI that will help you see packages.  If you
remove one package it tells you which others need to be removed due to
dependencies.

Other useful apt-get commands:
apt-get upgrade          (Update all packages safely)
apt-get dist-upgrade     (Update all packages)
apt-get remove something (remove something and dependencies of it)

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com