[luau] Re: language services

Eric Jeschke jeschke at portcullis.uhh.hawaii.edu
Sat Feb 22 12:32:00 PST 2003

| As for legislation- here's what language services (and tech consulting)
| needs to take off- - ** exempt consulting from the GET ** Only two states in
| the union tax consulting income such as tech support and translation.  Whip
| out a slide rule, give yourself an extra $0.04 on each dollar and then
| figure out the GET all the stuff you'd buy with that! (plus the hired
| clerks, delivery people... you know the drill...)

You can exempt consulting and services GET tax rendered to companies
OUTSIDE the state, with some small provisos.  I have used this exemption
for computer consulting work over the internet to mainland companies.

I agree that it would be nice if there was a loophole (aka "tax
incentive") for in-state consulting/services to grow that sector.  There
are exemptions for luring companies here (as with teachers), but as
usual, the residents that are already here do not get the break.

BTW, that was a nice note about a large potential market and industry
that not many know about; probably one of the "cleanest" we could have.

--Eric

Eric Jeschke
http://redskiesatnight.com/