[luau] our economy

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Fri Feb 21 21:03:00 PST 2003

I don't think I can buy into the "a few guys control everything" reason for
low salaries.

I think it has more to do with the people that stay in Hawaii.  The best
and the brightest of Hawaii tend to LEAVE the island as soon as they can
and they don't come back for years if ever.  This has been happening for
decades.  Most leave for college and few return.  Most people who stay in
Hawaii are happy with the status quo, they aren't the people who want to be
CEOs and make massive salaries, though some very ambitious and talented
people do stay, they are not the majority.  They work two jobs, take their
annual trip to Vegas, and are happy.  Plus businesses in Hawaii are not the
most advanced in the country.  I have a friend who is a mainframe
programmer and he says Hawaii had more mainframe work than any other city
in the country.  You hear about places in Hawaii still using Novell 4.x and
there are a lot of places that don't even use computers.

Dusty