[luau] our economy

Stan Baptista sbaptista at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 20:14:01 PST 2003

re: It all comes down to the cost of living here,
which is high because of high land prices in Hawaii.
Land prices are high because of Hawaii's location. So
it does all come down to the "price of paradise".

Land prices are high in California, rent or buying in
or near NY city is also high.  Where I lived in the
Boston area, housing costs could be very high in the
immmediate vacinity of Boston.  In those cases, the
salaries go UP not down.  I'm pretty sure that the
"cost of office space & other overheads" is
exhorbitant in Palo Alto but salaries aren't low there
to keep costs down, far from it.

I think there is more to this and I'm beginning to
believe it has more to do with greed than anything
else.  I don't think it has anything to do with
"living more simply".  Too bad.

--- Vikram Khurana <vkhurana at mail.nmfs.hawaii.edu>

=====
Stan Baptista - sbaptista at yahoo.com