[luau] our economy

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Fri Feb 21 14:13:01 PST 2003

Aloha,

There are many good paying tech jobs in Hawaii.  They are just all with the
US government (contractor adn civil service) and almost all require a
security clearance.  A clearance isn't hard to get, but it can take a long
time.  There is something like SIX TIMES as many jobs that require a
clearance as there are people with a clearance, so they usually pay pretty
well for talent.

On the civillian side things are pretty SAD!  At the peak of the Internet
(Sandi and I went to the mainland for those years) I was looking at some
jobs in Honolulu.  And I saw things like a position for a Solaris Unix
admin, requiring 10 years experience and a master degree and it offered
$35,000.  A person with that kind of background could be easily making
$100,000 in any city  on the mainland at that time.  From what I have seen
being back for two years now, things haven't gotten much better.

For people looking, here is a list of most of the government contractors on
the island.  Almost every position they have will require you to get and
maintain a security clearance, but they have cool jobs and pay pretty well.

CSC
Roger Hirlinger - rhirling at csc.com
Dan Hay - 834-3688
Al Edwards, Jr. - aedward2 at csc.com

BAH
Ted Peck - peck_theodore at bah.com

SPAWAR
Bernie Schneiderman - bernies at spawar.navy.mil

TNOSC
Gladys Skinner - gladys.skinner at shafter.army.mil

RCERT
Ron Lee - leer at shafter.army.mil

PRC
Matt McCullough - McCulloughM at SHAFTER.ARMY.MIL

Wheat International
Jim Bone - 521-8810 - jbone at wheatintl.com
Tim Freeman, VP - tfreeman at wheatintl.com

Anteon