[luau] Think Tech Hawaii and Linux

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Feb 20 22:34:00 PST 2003

Don,

Did not mean to start a full on rant here, since this is really more
about linux types helping each other out, but still I appreciate the
effort you made, so will answer.  Of course, you are right: no jobs, no
tech, so you must be kind of OS neutral, or even Micro$oft slanted if
that brings jobs. I guess I think, wrongly I guess, of "tech" as equals
scientifically curious and open minded, which is why I was surprised at
the attitude I experienced.

 You are also right that Linux types tend to be passionate. It would
take pages and pages to explain why, but it must be clear to you that it
is not just an OS but a movement and a worldview involving sharing and
openness. And the most exciting thing of all, if you poke around certain
websites and linux news areas, is that more and more "big players"
(cities, countries, companies) are seeing the advantages of open source.
If you have been following our site, you may have noticed that one of
the only recent postings offering local jobs involved programming in
java and linux; so tech and Hawaii and Linux may not be mutually
exclusive after all.  Yrs, Alvin