[luau] News - Motorola gambles big on Linux, Sinocapitalism

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Feb 18 20:21:00 PST 2003

Scott pointed to the enthusiasm that the announcement had generated on
Slashdot as vindication. This was, he told us offstage, the single
biggest platform pledge for handheld Linux by any major manufacturer.
And in this, he is probably correct. By walking away from Symbian and
Nokia, Motorola is unlocking a Pandora's Box of competitive forces from
which it might or might not be able to profit.

However, you can bet that brilliant Chinese technologists will take this
offering and run with it. We hope they do, if only because it promises
to add to our vocabulary immensely. We're used to describing the world
in terms we already know - such as that ancient MBA staple of
"horizontal" and "vertical" industries - proven by a business model we
already "know" - the PC business. This is something entirely new. Anyone
who patronizes the Chinese or otherwise underestimates the potential of
China's state-owned capitalism to own an increasing share of its IP
could be in for a nasty surprise.

(continued in article)