[luau] Questions about installing modules

demon_jr808 demon_jr808 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 14 10:08:01 PST 2003

Hi Everyone,

There are some issues that are not entirely clear to me when I run "insmod".

Here is an example:

After entering the following command: # insmod tlan.o
I recieve the following message: TLAN driver, v1.0, (C) 1997-8 Caldera, Inc.

Should there be more to the message than this? Various examples I have seen displayed other messages such as the driver being loaded, installed, etc. Is this a sign that although this module is loaded, there is no actually hardware device attached to this particular module? When attempting to load another module, I receive either "unresolved symbol" or "device or resource busy". If anyone can clue me in to what this means (in layman's terms), it would be greatly appreciated.

Next, I entered the following command to see if the module was loaded: # lsmod
In regards to the module in question I received the following message: Module - tlan    Pages - 5       Used By - 0

Based on the above message, I am assuming that the module was successfully installed. However, based on the "Used By - 0" line, I am assuming that the module is not being used by any particular hardware device. Can someone verify if my assumption is correct?

That being the case, when attempting to install a module for a hardware device, does the module automatically "attach" itself to the hardware device it is designed for? For instance, if I install a sound card that is not recognized by Linux, then install the appropriate modules, will the sound card then become "active" once the correct modules are installed or is there more to the process than "just" installing the modules?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!