[luau] Friday night IRC meeting, Linux for Hawaii schools

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Thu Feb 13 12:24:00 PST 2003

Aloha,

Is your organization a secret?  Nothing has ever been mentioned on this
list (the only open source technology forum I know of in Hawaii) about your
organization, until now.  It is great that you have done this work and are
supporting open source in Hawaii, but is sounds like you are being critical
of people on this list for not helping, when you never mentioned it.

Scott also thought things were not moving in a organized enough manner, so
he formed HOSEF on his own and currently has a warehouse full of donated
hardware, volunteers sorting thourgh the hardware, is talking to schools to
use the hardware, received non-profit status, and has a board of directors
now running HOSEF.  Sounds like you and Scott were working along the same
path, the difference is Scott kept everyone informed of what he was doing.

What is the name of your organization?  It would be nice if the two worked
together.  There should be no reason the two organizations couldn't remain
seperate but work together to accomplish the same goal. It sounds like you
have some good mainland support, where HOSEF has good local support.  HoSEF
is a non-profit, so the menbers should not be worried about a competing
group taking all the profits and there are a lot of schools to cover.  This
is evident from the fact that with all the schools HOSEF has talked to they
never heard of your organization.

P.S. - I am not a boad member of HOSEF, so I can not speak for them.  This
is just my opinion.

Mahalo,
Dusty