[luau] daemons running as root

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Feb 11 13:27:00 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 06:13:48PM -0500, tburns at despammed.com wrote:
> How does one get daemons to run as a user other than root?

It depends on what service you are trying to run.

> I tried using:
>
> su <username> -c <invoke daemon>

This could work if the daemon is not binding to a privileged port.

> but it doesn't seem to work. Are the daemons supposed to change
> their own privilege level?

Only if the daemon is written to do so. The service needs to be
written to bind to the socket as root and then drop privileges
afterwards.

> One problem is that the system I'm actually trying to fix is
> running IRIX, not linux. But there's usually enough common
> ground that I can figure out what will work on one from finding
> out what works on the other. Maybe not in this case.

I cannot imagine how it would be different in this case.

-Vince