[luau] Re: web forums

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Feb 11 13:25:00 PST 2003

Eric Jeschke wrote:
> I think that if you have the right system set up you can have the same
> content hosted as both a mailing list and as a bulletin board and
> leave the choice of the interface up to the user (this has worked
> successfully with mailing lists gatewayed to news systems for years).
> You just need the capability in the BB system of having emails properly
> posted as thread replies and in having every post to the BB mailed out
> on the email list.
 >
> | Unfortunately, if such a thing were to happen, it would need to be a
> | complete conversion because you cannot expect people to visit both a
> | mailing list and web forum.  The community would suffer if we try to
> | maintain both.  This means that the discussion mailing list would
> | ultimately need to be discontinued.
>
> I don't understand why this has to be so.  If there is a psychological
> reason why the same content can't be interfaced as both a mailing list
> and as a web forum I'd be interested to hear it!

It is not a psychological reason, it is a technical reason.  There
currently exists no viable mailing list to web board gateway that
maintains the best of both worlds.

Such a thing could however be coded for phpBB.  It would be a major
technical hurdle, but it would be a great boon to many communities.

Who would write it though?

Warren