[luau] Linux Classes

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Sun Feb 2 20:40:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 14:49:13 -1000
Chris U <ckuyehar at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> This may sound like a dumb question, but where could I go to learn how
> to use and operate Linux in a business class environment?
> -Chris

Not dumb at all.

"Business class environment" is a bit ambiguous. Here's what comes to
mind:

    o Servers providing http, mail, and Windows file and printer sharing

    o General purpose desktops with typical office applications

        - word processing

        - spreadsheet

        - presentation graphics

        - mail client

    o Custom application development, usually involving a database

        - for internal use

        - for client access, eBusiness

    o Network security, a.k.a. firewalls

Do you mean any of these in particular?

Historically, the open-source scene requires a lot of self-teaching. There
are lots of good books -- I especially like the O'Reilly series
(http://www.oreilly.com/).

One of the many advantages of open-source software is that you can play
around with it for free. I find the hands-on approach to be a great way to
learn.

We tend to think of Hawaii as being a backwater of information technology,
but as it turns out we have a local girl with a book out on this subject.
I haven't read it, so this is only a pointer. Check it out and post a
review here!

The Essential Guide to Internet Business Technology
Gail Honda and Kipp Martin
Prentice Hall, February 2002

http://www.globaloptima.com/ourbook.htm

My Open Slate project seeks to develop a content development model based
on the open-source model of software development. Your question has me
thinking about ways to apply that approach to training. Hmmm...

--