[luau] NMB service stopping automatically

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Sat Feb 1 03:59:00 PST 2003

I am not familiar with Mandrake and have not experienced this before.

How is smbd and nmbd being started?  Through inetd or as a standalone
service in daemon mode (nmbd -D), you can do either but it is
generally better to NOT use inetd.

Even with nmbd not running and the Linux machine not showing up in
network neighborhood, you will still be able to connect to any shares
it has if smbd is still running properly provided you know the share
name.  Basically a share or a machine does not have to be visible to
be mapped and used, you just have to remember the share name yourself
or map it manually once using the /PERSISTENT:YES yes switch so it
maps every time you login the Win machine.  Not a fix for your
problem but it will allow continued use until you figure out nmb.

Are there any obvious errors or hints in the nmb logs?