[luau] videl.ics.hawaii.edu disk failure - a detente

Wayne Bow sysadmin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Fri Dec 5 13:38:00 PST 2003

Aloha All,

Today..I top-post.

I've worked quite a bit with that 'hard-headed' guy Scott, and have
nothing but the utmost respect for his knowledge and capabilities. While
he, undoubtedly, does not have the technical expertise or linux
knowledge-base that Mr. Togami has worked so hard to obtain, I have
never found him to be stubborn or close-minded. Nor have I seen him
impatient or ungrateful with the gifts of those who may not know as much
as he. His ability to lead the uninitiated to understanding of, and
appreciation for, Linux is beautiful to watch. His abilities to work
thru a problem, identify his areas of knowledge deficit and then fill
those gaps are also well-demonstrated.

Warren, your gift of knowledge is very much appreciated by, I think,
everyone on this list. Speaking for myself, I have learned much from
reading your posts. One of the most important things I've learned (I
hope) is how not to speak (write) to my fellow Linux associates.

On a lighter note...I cannot donate $1100 for a terabyte drive array,
but my business could see clear to donate a bit for updated drives (or
wherever the need is.) The question becomes..where to stash the cash?
If HOSEF is putting together the next machine to ease the videl server
load and Videl is looking for improvements to the current server, where
is the most productive place to put the money?

I'm quite certain that I do not have enough information about either
option to make an informed decision. Suggestions?

Mahalo for the ongoing efforts of *All*.

Aloha,
Wayne Bow

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 11:45 AM, Warren Togami wrote:

> It is this kind of attitude and your lack of sound technical knowledge

> from which you make hard-headed assumptions that really angers me.
> This makes me question if I really want to continue contributing to
> this group.

This was not how this thread was supposed to evolve.  I am, by all
definitions, only intermediate in my evolving knowledge of Linux, and I
have never claimed differently.  I am an impassioned student, though,
and I am devoted to making my "knowledge" as knowable as possible by as
many as possible.  Hence my 400 + hours devoted to HOSEF and the
promotion and de-mystification of Linux to those who lack "sound
technical knowledge."  I am average, but I am trying to build our local
community in my own humble way.

Videl has been your baby and your gift to the community, and I know
that all are grateful.  I regret infringing on your turf by offering a
drive that was not what you wanted.  I took your comments seriously,
though, and I have spent some time investigating my lack of knowledge.
I just don't see that it really matters if the drives do not match.  We
software raid partitions, not drives.  Fdisking a 60 gb partition as
type FD and correcting the /etc/raidtab to reflect the new partition's
location is all that is needed to add redundancy to Videl.  Redundancy
that seems to have been missing for weeks now.  If, in doing so, we
leave 100gb of my gift on the table, that seems like my problem.

Some of you may know that we are in the process of adding a dual
athlon, 1gb ram, mega-box to our arsenal.  This is an older, spare
machine at Pricebusters that I am buying from Pricebusters and giving
to HOSEF.  Once in the rack, thanks to the kind efforts of Brian Chee,
it will be offloading a lot of Videl's burden.  At this point, we are
due for some server downtime while drives and mirrors are moved.  A
good time, it seemed, to add the yet-to-be-given matching 160gb drive.

It seemed Warren, and I regret my mistake, that my drive was a good
compromise between your desire to replace the 60gb drive and Vince's
suggestion to add two, new, higher capacity drives.  My drive could add
redundancy while we waited on the community to help with the other.
When the community contributed another drive, we could then combine it
with the other 160 gb in Videl.  I have already offered to front the
community $ for the other drive.

The end result is 100 gb more than you asked for in Videl, and I am
offering to pay for it.  The hosef server would take over mirroring and
lists, and it appears that we would move the 120gb mirror from videl to
hosef.  This leaves Videl much less burdened than it is with a lot more
storage.  I just don't see the problem, there.

True, the array will run at the speed of the older drive.  That is my
loss.  When we add another drive, they will run at the speed of the new
drive.  Our gain.  Software raid on a standard ata controller permits
this.  Tonight we could add the new drive and enjoy the peace of mind
redundancy brings while we wait on more contributions.  I never meant
for my gift to be a reflection of my "hard-headed" personality or to
compel you to question if you "want to continue contributing to this
group."  I really was just trying to find a solution.  I have found all
else that ensued very confusing and somewhat discouraging.  I am
definitely sorry if I seemed disrespectful of all that you have done or
of your expertise status.

The direction of serial ata drives and a 3ware controller is
compelling, though, and if immediate redundancy is not an urgent
concern, perhaps the drive can be exchanged for a serial one and you
can wait for other contributions, if that is your choice.  The drive is
HOSEF's now, so let's just figure out the best way to apply it or its
credit.

for those wondering what the heck software raid is or how to do it,
Daniel Robbins has a great article, with references, at

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-raid1/index.html

--scott

success without humility is simply an indulgence in arrogance

R. Scott Belford
Chair and more - The Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation
PO Box 392
Kailua, HI 96734
808.689.6518
scott at hosef.org