[luau] videl.ics.hawaii.edu disk failure - Your Help Needed

R.Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Thu Dec 4 09:36:00 PST 2003

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 01:16 AM, Warren Togami wrote:

> 160GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
> 60GB  7200rpm 2MB cache
> Unfortunately this means that Videl will still be limited in
> performance
> to the 2MB cache of the smaller disk.  While the 60GB system drive
> portion can be made redundant across both disks, using the
> non-redundant
> 100MB portion eats into the disk bandwidth on the larger disk, which
> blocks and slows down the entire system.  This itself is not entirely
> bad, just inefficient.
>
> For the reasons above I am saddened that the drive was bought after
> little discourse.  It was my belief that my proposed plan in my last
> post with the new 60GB disk and moving the 120GB disk to Oceanic mirror
> was the most effective use of money and resources, but since the drive
> was already bought we *can* use it if Scott wishes it so.

I am saddened that something that does not matter is being made an
issue.  The system drive, 60gb, failed,  It was mirroring the other 60
gb drive.  This leaves Videl one drive away from failing at any moment.
  This would inconvenience *all* of us.  The 120gb drive in Videl that I
gave us hosts all of the non-system files.  It is not mirrored.  I
stated in my post last night, and I quote,

"We can mirror the other 60 gb drive and either add to our storage or
mirror 100gb of it"

So we have a solution.  The 60gb drive will be mirrored, and the
remaining 100 gb could easily add to our storage needs.  I am not sure
how much space we have in the case to be adding drives, so it made
sense to address the mirroring and capacity issues.  This seems to
involve the least labor, the best cost per gb, and addresses immediate
needs.

However, in our elitist world of Linux Geekdom we have instead decided
that there is a technical issue with my gift and are now publicly
expressing disappointment because of "little discourse."  Absolutely
amazing and rather insulting.

I am sorry that I did not buy the "right" drive.  I will save it for
Server 3 soon to be installed and named hosef.org.

Cross your fingers that Videl continues to stay up, and please do your
part to keep our community servers running.

--scott