[luau] videl.ics.hawaii.edu disk failure - Your Help Needed

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Dec 2 20:33:01 PST 2003

On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 07:44 PM, Warren Togami wrote:

snip ---

> Apparently one of the disks in the RAID1 array of videl.ics.hawaii.edu
> failed during November.  I am hoping for donations to help pay for the
> replacement disk and other upcoming server upgrades that are needed.

Is priority one to replace the failed drive for this array?  If so,
what size?  I can order it tomorrow.  I am assuming that it needs to
match the other 120gb drive I donated last year.

> If you have Paypal, you can send donations directly to me at
> warren at togami.com.  Unfortunately I can only accept money from
> "Verified" Paypal members.  Otherwise visit http://www.hosef.org and
> click on "Donations" to read about the other donation options.

HOSEF can accept Paypal donations as well.

> I personally put $570 into Videl + Fedora servers this year, $60 of
> which were reimbursed by earlier donations from the mainland USA and
> Europe to Fedora via hosef.org.  Currently Videl is showing its age
> with
> growing performance problems and constantly high load averages, so we
> are in the process of adding a 3rd HOSEF server to the University of
> Hawaii ICS department server room that was donated by Pricebusters.
>
> Your donations are needed in order to keep these three servers in
> operation as parts fail, and add much more mirror storage capacity.  It
> is my goal to have at least 1TB of mirror storage after we install the
> 3rd server.  Videl's current 120GB disk cannot hold much more, and I am
> always needing to delete more parts of distributions in order to save
> space.  (Next to go is Mandrake and Debian PowerPC.)

Server 3 that is coming from our friends at Pricebusters has 120gb of
storage mirrored with software raid.  Our plan is to host LUAU and
other HOSEF lists there.  What kind of space will this create on Videl,
and can we make arrangements before we drop Mandrake and Debian
PowerPC?  Respectfully, one of the "conditions". so to speak, of the
first 120gb drive donation, was that we host Debian with it.  Please
wait before we drop it.  When server 3 comes on line, that will be 240
gb of raid storage at our disposal.

--scott