[luau] Quuestion about Linux Security and domain name

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Fri Aug 29 23:30:01 PDT 2003

> My concern is security; I would like to know how to set up firewall to
> avoid hacing to

open port 137, 138,139, or 445(ADS), depends on which service you need, close
everything else, samba had been remote rootshell-ed before, nothing will give
you 100% safty.  Configure smb.conf with allowed workstation IP addresses
only, and bind to internal network if it's dual home.

> protect our data.
>
> I still do not have fluency on linux environment.  I know basic shell
> operation, but am not fammiller with system configuration.  I relay on
> Webmin and Mandrake Control Center.
>

> Another question is how to set up server to access by domain name.
>
> Our department has domain "coe.hawaii.edu" and I named the server to "foo"
> by changing /etc/hosts file and give it static IP, but I cannot access to
> the server by entering "foo.coe.Hawaii.edu".  Please let me know what I
> need to know.

you need to add your system to the DNS or to every windows computer's lmhost
file(and you have to enable lmhost lookup also).

Is your network using Active Directory('Our department has domain
"coe.hawaii.edu"'?) ? AD will not see your system if it's native and if your
system is not part of the forest,  but you can use it in a mixed mode.