[luau] Wordperfect office and 9.1

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Aug 29 08:53:01 PDT 2003

I assume you are talking about WordPerfect for Windows, and not
WordPerfect Office for Linux.  The latter is, IMNSHO, one of the worst
programs in the history of computing.  You solved one problem, then
another problem popped up.  And the whole "thing" ceased to install when
I moved to the newest generations of Linux distros (RH 9 & MDK 9.1).

With WordPerfect Office for Windows, the only option is to run it under
Win4Lin.  You also need a copy of either Win98SE or WinME.  Both OS's
suck big time, but since they are not allowed to touch hardware under
Win4Lin/Linux, Windows programs actually are substantially better
behaving in Linux than running natively in Windows.  (Currently, there
is no option to run Win2K with Win4Lin.)

Win4Lin, now version 5, is not cheap (about $89.99 per license?).  But
if you use WordPerfect in your business, it's worth every penny.  Just
remember don't ever try to "upgrade" from WP9 (i.e., WordPerfect Office
2000).  WP10 (part of WordPerfect 2002) has several critical problems we
had to remove it from all our machines.  WP11 corrected some of those
problems, but it also breaks some of the important functionalities of WP9.

For business purposes, there is another (very important) advantage of
running Windows applications in Linux under Win4Lin.

As we all know, Windows contains quite a few bugs.  But most Windows
application programs have been known to rely on those bugs for their
functionality.

When Microsoft moves to a new version of Windows, many of those bugs
will be "fixed" (while new bugs will be introduced).  This can cause,
and has caused, many Windows applications to behave improperly.  Thus,
you often need to buy a new version of the application program to run
under the new Windows.  But those newer applications may bring new
problems when running in the older version of Windows.  The cycle
repeats itself.  And we Windows applications users are forced to live in
the constant upgrade cycle and under constant fear.

With Win4Lin, you will be able to run your familiar applications (e.g.,
WordPerfect 2000) in a familiar environment (e.g., Win98).  All the
changes in Linux will be taken care of by Win4Lin.