[luau] Linux in Hawaiian Industry

Dwight Victor dwight at aikanaka.com
Thu Aug 28 17:30:01 PDT 2003

Hi Keith,

I'm not sure what the status of Linux is in the business community, but I
can give you some information that I've picked up during my stint at one of
Hawaii's premiere startups on Oahu (ymmv on Maui).

I worked at Pihana Pacific, Inc. (now known as Equinix) for three years.  We
built a network of neutral data centers throughout Asia and provided a
variety of value-added services (i.e., bandwidth, data storage,
backup/restore, peering, colocation services, etc.).  At our peak, we were
able to secure $290 Million in VC funding.

During my three years, I held various positions in our Network Operations as
well as Product Development groups.  In my experience, the PHBs preferred to
go with more "well known" unices, such as Solaris and HP-UX (basically
becuase of all the wheeling & dealing going on with the vendors) and
Microsoft products.  All desktops, file servers, application servers, mail
servers, VPN servers, etc. were Microsoft based systems.  Our billing
systems and CRM ran on Oracle and HP-UX.  Solaris powered the
customer-facing website.  Cisco was our routing/switching brand of choice.

We did have a few Linux boxes (Redhat & SuSE, as well as Trustix), primarily
run by Linux enthusiats as internal development support systems and other
non mission critical systems (i.e., group file server/website, some web
development, etc.).  In fact, I ran a Quake II server which we used to "test
the network" occasionally.

I believe Pihana was on par with most, if not all, of the high-tech,
dot.com, startups, etc. in Honolulu.  The more established companies and
businesses are, I believe (and this includes government - city, state, and
federal - with the exception of the schools), are firm believers in what I
call the "status quo" OSes: Solaris, AIX, Microsoft.  Although towards the
end (before our meger with Equinix), we were beginning to look at Linux as
the OS of choice for our low end NAS servers (customer facing).

Today, based on what I know, there is no real impetus on the part of
business to want to migrate to Linux anytime soon.  I think many companies
are testing the waters, but prefer to stay status quo.  Now the reason I
think they want to stay this way isn't so much based on fear of the unknown,
or little-known OS, but because of the huge leverage the dominant vendors
can bring to bear in terms of discounts and other perks...and, like they
say, no one ever got fired for buying Microsoft (or Sun, or IBM, etc.).

Anyways, good luck with your search.  Hopefully you'll be able to prove me
wrong and sign on with a company devoted to Linux.  If you're looking for a
sysadmin type job, the federal government (i.e., contractors) are looking
for people who know Solaris and Microsoft.

Hope that helps,

Dwight...