[luau] RH 9 server hacked -- what went wrong?

yuser yuser at hi.net
Tue Aug 26 15:21:01 PDT 2003

On 26 Aug 2003 at 12:04, Mark Pettit wrote:

> There is no consumer-level product that will do that.

I know, that was my wishlist!!  It would be nice though.  I will look
into the Linksys.

>  However, Linux
> iptables can do most, if not all, of what you are asking for.  And
> they can be set up for relatively cheap; $100 or less if you buy a
> used computer on ebay.

I personally use either my SMC or my Linux floppy based Freesco
router at home (old but works well on a DX2/66 32MB ram), I've also
tried several other more up to date firewall distros on various
hardware with very good results.  I've done quite a few small
networks as side jobs and I feel more comfortable from a call back
potential, leaving them with a self contained home router (+wireless)
then a headless Pentium that looks like the boogyman to them.