[luau] service confusion: tftpd setup

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Fri Aug 22 17:10:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 04:05:42PM -1000, Charles Lockhart wrote:
> I've been out on vacation for a couple of weeks, and I just got back to
> work today, and I go to set up tftpd on Sony vaio laptop running redhat
> 9, and I am totally boggling.

> Basically I'm just editting the iptables file generated by lokkit
> (which, yeah, they don't recommend) to include one line that will allow
> the service.  I tried:

I edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables all the time, but for other
services. Since tftp is such a big hole, I usually disable
iptables for the brief time tftp needs to run and leave tftp out
of the iptables configuration.

> My sanity is ebbing, so I'm going to get a beer and think more
> on this, but if anybody has a good, reasonable suggestion, or
> god forbid a straight out answer to my dilemma, I'd be much
> obliged.

You did not mention you checking the log files for tftp requests
to confirm the service is running. Add -v to /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
while you are troubleshooting and restart xinetd.

If your laptop is on an internal network, disable iptables for
a bit to verify that the service is running properly. /tftpboot
needs some rather liberal permissions so be sure to reable
iptables relatively quickly.

-Vince