[luau] RH 9 server hacked -- what went wrong?

Rob Bootsma rbootsma at comtelhi.com
Fri Aug 22 14:36:01 PDT 2003

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your comments.

No, this box was not firewalled, nor had I applied any security patches.
I had every intention of doing so, I just didn't realize I'd get hit so
quickly.  Like I said, it had only been up for a few days (and for most
of that time it was not even reachable from the Internet).

I admit, this box was pretty wide open.  Still, I'm curious to know
which exploit was used.  Here's the output of nmap.  (Sorry, Hoala, I
pulled this box off the Net as soon as I verified the hack.  I still
have the internal interface up).

Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
53/tcp     open        domain
80/tcp     open        http
110/tcp    open        pop-3
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
143/tcp    open        imap2
443/tcp    open        https
445/tcp    open        microsoft-ds
783/tcp    open        hp-alarm-mgr
953/tcp    open        rndc
993/tcp    open        imaps
995/tcp    open        pop3s
1241/tcp   open        msg
1723/tcp   open        pptp
10000/tcp  open        snet-sensor-mgmt

I'll take this as a painful but good learning experience.  Luckily there
was no data on the box yet.  If this had happened a week from now, I'd
be a lot worse off.

Rob