[luau] Red Hat vs. SCO

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue Aug 5 08:10:01 PDT 2003

Warren Togami wrote:

>Can't find the link to Red Hat's filing yet...

I am sure it will be available soon.  If not, I will send you a copy.
Red Hat's complaint is very well written, and I strongly suggest that
everyone take a close look at it.

I don't know if anyone here still remembers (or, to some, are old enough
to know) the "Apple vs. Microsoft" case.  This case, which deals with
the copyrightability of the look-and-feel of computer screens, was a
defining moment in personal computing.  Microsoft took the challenge and
won, and the rest became history.  (I am sure Microsoft in the future
will argue that look-n-feel should be copyrightable, but that's a
different story.)

In light of the huge momentum of the open source movement, I believe the
Red Hat vs. SCO case will be another defining moment which will clarify
the laws regarding Linux, open-source, GPL, etc.  I think everyone here
should feel excited that we are right in the middle of one of biggest
truning moments of human history (while it still seems that no one else
on the islands is aware of what's going on).

Wayne