[luau] What does Everyone think of ACT221?

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Fri Apr 25 10:38:01 PDT 2003

Good words Scott!  Our state needs to attract new business.  Some companies
are abusing 221 and that needs to be stoped, but we shouldn't change 221.
The Tax office has changed what businesses need to do to use 221,
specifically addressing the abuses to date.

The problems I see with 221 is that it is not designed for small businesses
and small investors can not take advantage of it.  What I mean by this is:

- it will cost you around $20K in legal fees to get your comfort letter
from the state saying you can use ACT 221.

- SEC laws do not allow investors with less than a $1 million net worth or
$250K per year anual income to invest in ACT 221.

So basically if you want to start a business in your garage, you better
have a lot of money upfront to pay the attorney and your grandma will most
likely not qualify to invest in your company.

221 can be good for the state, the tax office just needs to learn more
about how it can be abused so they can keep it under control.

Dusty