[luau] Network switch

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Apr 24 11:02:06 PDT 2003

Nakashima wrote:
> What brand of switch does HOSEF recommend for LTSP implementation?
> Is there a significant difference between brands?
> ~Peter

Not speaking for HOSEF, I can heartily reccomend the 3Com SuperStack series if
you want a larger, managed switch.  They are significantly cheaper than
comparable Cisco products, and come with most of the features you'd need for a
smaller (non-corporate) installation.

I personally have a SuperStack II 3300 (24 ports) at home, and I love it.  I can
easily move 16MB/sec (full duplex, 100Mbit, one comp with a good NIC talking to
two comps with crummy NICs) over a single port on it.  It's been very reliable,
despite the partial failure of one fan.

--MonMotha