[luau] Road Runner Vs. DSL revisited

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 24 01:38:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 14:08, Virgil wrote:
> Are you talking about Lavanet's frame relay services? Maybe if you want more
> you can boost it up to more than 5gb a month? I don't speak for lavanet but
> I know they are a little bit more flexible in this area and provide you with
> good service compared to the others.
>
> Virgil

On the topic of Cable and DSL, this is about to hit slashdot.

http://news.com.com/2100-1034-997831.html
"Cable modems are outpacing digital subscriber lines in terms of
connection speeds, as household broadband access continues to increase,
according to a study released Tuesday."

Note that my roadrunner cable modem has been great over the years.  The
first year was terrible with weeks of downtime because of poor wiring in
my area, but after that was overhauled I've had very few problems.  I
used to get as much as 7000kbps when downloading from Videl, and Ray
Strode mentioned breaking 8000kbps sometimes about a year ago.

Since then the speeds have degraded for me steadily.  This past week I
began having roughly 2000kbps maximum rates. =(

I shouldn't complain though, because 2000kbps is still blazing fast for
the $45 I'm paying monthly.  IIRC 2000kbps is also the "official"
maximum number that I'm supposed to be getting, so perhaps they only now
instituted the download cap.  My upload cap has been at 384kbps for the
past year or two.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com