[luau] Road Runner Vs. DSL revisited

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Apr 23 11:39:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:48:12AM -1000, Chris Stark wrote:
> Maybe try NetSaint (now called Nagios) for network uptime
> monitoring. It can be a little tricky to set up, but it can
> probably do anything you need it to.

Has Nagios improve its trending? Nagios out of the box is/was
best at monitoring services.

Is RRD embedded into Nagios now? If not, I would recommend
Cricket/MRTG using RRDtool as a backend.

> You could set it to periodically (like every minute or 30
> seconds, etc.) ping a 'stable' external host like google or
> your ISP's DNS (or several hosts just to be thorough).

The more traffic over a circuit, the more latency is incured.
If you measure too often, you cause more latency for yourself
and others. Imagine if everyone decided to hit Google every
30 seconds. Google might have enough bandwidth to sustain the
impact, but networks on the way may not.

-Vince