[luau] New to the Area

stimmy stimmy at panax.com
Tue Apr 22 10:37:01 PDT 2003

Hey there fellow *nix users,

I just moved to Hawaii from Maine, about a week ago, and am already
starving for some tech-based excitement. Back there, I was part of a
group of young men who were very interested in *nix, computer and
electronic hardware and modification thereof, gaming, web developement /
graphic design and programming. Now I'm in the middle of an Island
knowing only the two people I live with. Granted, we have made steps
-- we ordered a 768k/768k Flex DSL feed the other day, which should
replace our RoadRunner service soon.

So basically, I'm pleaing for a few things:

a) Any information on LANs or *nix meetings that will be a little bit
more redeeming than "This is how you install --", though I would
attend such a thing to aid, if it would help.

b) Information on where to purchase / look for reasonably priced
hardware, used and new. We used to have a warehouse we could raid, to
pick keyboards/mice up for $2, monitors up for $30, free fans, cables,
etc. etc. I'm grimicing at paying $400 for a new monitor, keyboard, a
few ide cables, and a network cable.

c) I'm going to purchase a Samsung 955MB 19" CRT monitor soon.
If anyone has something of similar quality, I'd definately be willing
to purchase it, instead.

d) One of the friends I live with is applying to CompUSA for a job. He
is not A+ certified, but has most of the knowledge he would need, to
be. He has years of experience with hardware and software, though none
with *nix, system administration or programming. Does anyone know of
OTHER job oppurtunities in the area?

Thanks a ton, guys,

James