[luau] Teachers needed

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Tue Apr 15 20:07:00 PDT 2003

We are building our computer program and we need teachers. Teaching
experience or a teaching certificate is NOT required. However, you must be
knowledgeable about what you teach and patient with the students.

I need teachers to teach computer classes at McKinley Community School for
Adults. The pay is $19.97 per hour. The rooms are well built, the computers
are nice and there is plenty of parking. Centrally located near the corner
of Kapiolani and Pensacola we are here to provide good computer classes to
the community at an affordable price. We do not run classes for profit, but
just to break even and provide a great service to the community.

For the Microsoft classes there is a book and the course curriculum is set
in stone already. If you know MS Office, Computer Basics and Internet
Basics you just follow through the projects in the book and answer
questions. You need to be knowledgeable enough to be able to answer
questions that come up. The Linux class curriculums are open ended right
now. I am planning to build a curriculum and find an appropriate book ASAP.
Suggestions and help would be appreciated on the Linux side of things.

The course days and times will be set in stone April 16 at 10pm. To be sure
you get the days and times you want you must let me know by 10pm April
16th. At the end is a list of days and times available. However it is
flexible to some extent, let me know what works for you and perhaps we can
work something out.

If you want to teach a course send me an email or call me at 429-3030
anytime. I need to know what you want to teach and when. There are
requirements and an interview is needed. You can still sign up to teach
after the 16th, but the course time and days will be locked in already.

Scott Belford has signed up to teach and I have heard from other members.
Those that talked with me after the Saturday meeting please email me ASAP
what you want to teach and when.

Subjects being offered (30 hours):
      Word 2002
      Excel 2002
      Powerpoint 2002
      Access 2002
      Office XP Introduction
      Photoshop 7
      Computer and Internet Basics (Windows)
      Internet Basics (15 hours)
      Linux Basics
      OpenOffice
      The GIMP
      Samba Server Setup
      Apache Server Setup
      ??? Any suggestions ???
      More Linux class suggestions?

We run classes day and night and they begin on June 9th. Night classes end
on July 21. Day classes can continue on until the end of August.

All the classes are 30 hour courses except Internet Basics which is 15
hours long. Classes are usually 3 hours per day 1-2 days a week.

The Schedule Slots are as follows:
(note there are some days when 2 or more rooms are available hence the
multiple time slots)

Monday/Wednesday
      8am - 11am
      11:30am - 2:30 pm
      3pm - 6pm
      2:30pm - 5:30pm
      6pm - 9pm
      6pm - 9pm

Tuesday/Thursday
      8am - 11am
      11:30am - 2:30 pm
      3pm - 6pm
      2:30pm - 5:30pm
      6pm - 9pm
      6pm - 9pm

Friday
      8am - 11am
      11:30am - 2:30 pm
      3pm - 6pm
      2:30pm - 5:30pm
      6pm - 9pm (only 15 hour courses)
      6pm - 9pm (only 15 hour courses)

Please note that the class is dependent on the class enrollment. If there
are enough enrolled then the class will run, if not it will be canceled.

Please pass this email on to anyone you know that might be interested in
the teaching.

Thank you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Michael Bishop
Technology Coordinator
McKinley Community School for Adults
Cell: 429-3030