[luau] linux porting question

Virgil virgil at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 23:04:00 PDT 2003

Hi Charles,

I'm by no means a seasoned programmer and your question on how hard can it
be is a tough question to answer. I think it depends on your experience on
how much you know assembly and how to use various compilers that write to
embedded devices. I know that Motorola has some great tools for embedded
devices and one of them is called Codewarrior. I believe that it will help
in writing assembly/C code to the PPC chip/device that they have listed on
their site. Check out (if you haven't done so already):
http://www.metrowerks.com/mw/develop/embedded/powerpc/default.htm

You can also find something useful at: http://www.linuxdevices.com/

As I said, I'm not in the know when it comes to embedded systems. All I can
say is that embedded systems to me would be easier to write to compared to a
desktop OS since you won't have to worry about the overhead that comes with
a desktop OS. However, because size of the OS plays a big part in embedded
systems you are limited on what you can  and cannot do.

And if you find that writing an embedded OS is just too overwhelming,
companies like Palmsource.com do license out their OS. I'm not saying you
should but it might be an option your looking for.

Hope this helps.

Virgil