[luau] Hard drive clean up questions

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Apr 7 22:19:00 PDT 2003

Firstly, as far as I know, these only really matter for compiling kernel
dependent sources.  So you could so just as well to remove them all if
you don't compile anything.  But to be safe, its always nice to have
some kernel headers.  So go ahead and get rid of 2.2, then link linux to
linux-2.4.  Its becomes a crazy chain link, but it makes it easier if
say you upgrade to 2.4.30 or something in the future.  Of course, the
most sensible way to do it is to move linux-2.2 somewhere weird like
/root, then use the computer for a week and make sure nothing goes
wrong.  Then get rid of it entirely.  Also, you can probably cd into
both of those dirs and do a gmake clean;.  That'll get rid of a lot of
.o files that you probably don't need.  You should be able to torch any
files (not directories) under readhat.  There are no libraries in the
linux kernel directories, only header files.  So once something is
compiled and runable, it should theoretically not have any dependence on
those anymore.  But just to be safe, move 2.2, wait a while, then delete
it.

-Eric Hattemer