[luau] Re: Linux Project for HNLC...?

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Mon Apr 7 20:44:01 PDT 2003

See below...
--
Peter

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Benjamin Kinsey wrote:

> Ultimately, I think it would be wonderful for any school that wants
> their own Linux cluster lab to have it.  But, at this point we feel
> this is a little premature for HNLC to push for this, and we at HNLC
> are hesitant to set something like that up in a school without us
> first developing some expertise in setting up our own lab.  So before
> we go around evangelizing the benefits of Linux to sometimes very
> skeptical schools, we need to do our homework and make sure we can get
> everything working the way it should right here and begin a training
> program.  By setting up our own lab, it may be a seed that will
> germinate into many linux labs in the schools down the road.

I think a cautious/conservative approach by ATRB with most schools is the
right way to go.

However, for the few schools that wish to explore the possibilities, HOSEF
and the open source community should be able to provide whatever support
is needed.

> Great!  Which complex area?

Kaimuki-Kalani (we geographically surround your office).

> Outside of HNLC, there is HDOE/ATRB, which would be the "spaceholder"
> for the Linux lab I am envisioning.  Hopefully ATR can provide some
> support for the endeavors of the schools in the your complex area
> regardless of their HNLC status.

And maybe the school labs will be able to provide ATRB with valuable "real
world" implementation data. We look forward to working with you.