[luau] linux porting question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Mon Apr 7 15:44:00 PDT 2003

Sorry if this is unclear, I'm trying to figure out how to ask the question.

This is primarily in regards to an embedded device, but I don't know the
answer for the "standard" system either.

Say you've got a board that has a cpu on it that is supported by the
Linux kernel.  And you have the tool chain for compiling for that cpu.
And the kernel source, and the source for the whole standard distribution.

When compiling the kernel, what board specific things would you need to
know?  What wouldn't be in the kernel?

I was going throught the "linux from scratch" book, and went through the
whole process and built the distribution one peice at a time.  And I got
to wondering how hard it would be to do this for an embedded platform.
We look at embedded systems all the time and don't use them because the
distribution is usually monta vista's hard-hat or something similar, and
we don't want to shell out the bucks for their licensing.  But if
hardhat is already runnable on it, and the cpu is supported by either
the main kernel distro or by the ppc kernel distro, how hard could it
be?  But when I say that "how hard could it be?"  in a different tone it
sounds pretty ominous.

Any feedback?

Thanks,

-Charles