[luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #671 - 5 msgs

michael paix at softhome.net
Mon Apr 7 14:23:01 PDT 2003

This is where I want your help.  I need honest feedback, both
positive and negative, from HOSEF members about the challenges
of Linux within the scope of education.  For example, besides
Office and Web surfing, what will students actually be doing
at the Linux cluster?  What educational software is available
for Linux?  Particularly, how can Linux be useful for math and
science education (the focus of the HNLC grant)?

............what about this page?

http://linux.tucows.com/home_ed.html

i'm sure there are others:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=linux+%22education+software%22

  Is there any
hope of turning an "average" Mac or PC person into a Linux
system administrator?

....probably depends on what kind of network one wants to administer, i
would imagine.

good luck,

Mike

With your feedback, I will report my findings to my supervisor
who will likely report to her supervisor, and so up the chain
it will go, the way things work in government.  I am
enthusiastic that the attitude toward Linux is warming as the
benefits become more compelling.

Good luck with your legislative proposal (of course I am
speaking personally not officially).  You work from the
top, I'll work from the bottom, maybe, just maybe public
school students will benefit which will make all of this
worthwhile to me.

Sincerely,
Benjamin Kinsey

--